Pat's Blog

blah, blah...blah?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Monday, September 26, 2005

Public MSN Adresses

In Argentina, like in almost every other country in the world, I guess, MSN Messenger is THE messenger of choice for almost everybody. Virtually every Internet user has an MSN account these days. Lately, I've noticed that some people seem to be open up to receive MSN messanges from anybody, literally. These people (for some reason I assume it's teenagers) write their MSN addresses (or Hotmail addresses) on public places, like buses, pieces of paper they leave at bars, public restroom doors and so on. This may, however, not be their main MSN or Hotmail address, but nevertheless, what makes them do this? I'm really tempted to copy some of these addresses and start sending messages or emails to these people, to see what they really want. I don't know if this happens in other countries or cities, but it does happen a lot here. The interesting thing is that the addresses do not normally come together with some "pick-up" frases like "Girls (or boys) send me a message" or "I'm looking to meet girls". They're just there, alone. Of course they could be fake too.

Another strange phenomenon of the Internet era, I guess.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I live in Buenos Aires too and I've seen that kinda things many times while travelling on a train or bus, in public parks, etc. I've even seen graffitis with a hotmail address. I've wondered so much about what kind of reasons those people may have to do that.
You say that it's a phaenomenon of the Internet era but i believe it's rather strange, because there are many "more techie" ways of finding contacts than by writing your mail everywhere. I mean, contacts sites, communities, forums, etc.

Let's see whether it happens in other parts of the world or it's another "costumbre argentina". :P

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I did see it too in Buenos Aires, but well, never thought about it. Now I realise myself, that in other countries, in which I have lived, I never have seen it either.

I would not have any idea why one would write down his or her MSN-address in a public place, but well, I may be too old to understand that.
After all, I still can remember myself a world without the internet or celular phones. Many people cannot image that at all...

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home